Saturday, January 30, 2010

Countdown 365 T-30

TOTAL MILES: None ~ WILDLIFE: 2 Moose
I assume that all of my travels in an attempt to get pictures of Moose have finally paid off. Evidently the "word" got out among the Moose, "if you want your picture taken, go to the Harrington's". This afternoon while relaxing at home, this little visitor stopped by to "smell the roses", he did not realize he was six months early so he had to settle for nibbling the rose bushes. He does not realize it now, but soon "mama" is going to send him packing. He is a young bull, likely a second winter calf with his mother, his little "nubbins" are just starting to show on his forehead. Come spring, mom will push him out of the nest in preparation for re-birth. Slipping out onto the deck in my stocking feet to take his picture, I was in a hurry to get a shot of him and made what could have been a critical error. Less than ten feet from me, he allowed me to shoot several shots.
For Best Viewing Of Pictures Please Clean Your Monitor Screen By Clicking Below AUTOMATIC SCREEN CLEANER
"Smelling The Roses"
Evidently, the sound of the camera spooked him and he headed to the lawn. It was only then that he started calling his mother. He was vocalizing, a single syllable that sounded very similar to that of a lamb except it was not continuous. He continued this the entire time that he would remain in my sight, eventually cutting around and behind the old "homestead house".
"Don't Fence Me In I"
"Don't Fence Me In II"
It was only while I was watching him cross the lawn, calling his mom, and easily stepping over a three foot fence that it dawned on me of my error. He was calling for his mother, due to his size, I had not even considered him to still be with his mother. I had not stopped long enough to look around for her when I had started snapping his picture. First checking behind me, I spotted her about 40 feet away to my left, hiding in the alders at the end of the old "homestead cabin", and alongside the snow plow truck. She did not seem to concerned but she was "eyeballing" me. I have to wonder if he had run his syllables together if it would have been the alarm for help. I guess, I will never know but she never answered his call to disclose her location, I was thankful for that.
"Don't Tread Any Closer"

3 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

If you click on the 2nd picture of him stepping over the fence to enlarge it, you will see where his "spikes" will sprout come spring.

RangerBill574 said...

Did our father not teach you better than to photograph moose only after being aware of your surroundings. I recall you being in a tree with a pocket of fire crackers and father snapping pictures from behind a tree until you tossed one down on to a mooses ass. The moose somehow ended up behind the same tree as father and the photos got interesting after that.

Shana said...

You did not have to go far for that one....she came to you.