Friday, January 29, 2010

Countdown 365 T-29

TOTAL MILES: 173.4 Miles ~ WILDLIFE: 11 Moose
Pulled out at first light this morning. Weather was cloudy with a light rain falling and the temperatures were in the 20 degree range. Today's destination would include that area south of Kasilof River and north of Ninilchik, Alaska. Weather during the day increased in temperatures in the high 30 range, with scattered clouds. By nightfall, I will have seen a total of eleven moose. Not a great number for the miles driven but during the bright part of the day that is still a decent average. Took a slight detour and returned to Holly Street where the "Cheyenne" guide had seen a small Bull Moose earlier in the week but it had eluded our pursuit. Once again, I could not locate the Bull Moose but did see two cows and a calf. My travels today would include the Sterling Highway to Coho, Alaska. At Coho, I took the coastal route of Coho Loop Road which intersects the Sterling Highway south of the Kasilof River bridge. Exploring side roads, I ended up at the mouth of the Kasilof River and had the opportunity to witness a "January Rainbow" while my spotter, "Dutch" explored the beach area.
"January Rainbow" ~ Mouth Of The Kasilof River
Since I saw the mouth of the Kasilof River, I decided to continue my journey to the headwaters of the Kasilof River and Tustamena Lake. Although this route is through some prime moose country, I have been disappointed. This would be my second trip this month without seeing any moose in this area. Side trips on this route would include several side roads including,Crooked Creek Road. As the sunset was starting to show, I decided to head south in time to travel Oilwell Road at sundown. Once on Oilwell Road, I would see an additional eight moose on this side trip.. This is one reason that my well trained "spotter" travels with me on my hunts. This cow moose was spotted approximately 150 yards from the roadway, bedded down and camouflaged in with her surroundings. While watching her with my binoculars, a second cow was spotted that was bedded down inside the spruce tree line. This Oilwell Road trip would take me to just short of Silver Salmon Creek before I started loosing shooting light and turned around.
"Bedded Down"
This moose is playing it smart, she knows what neighborhood to hang out in, this is her safety zone.
" I Am Safe"
I liked this "Over The Shoulder" look that this cow gave to me. While I was shooting pictures of her, the cell phone just happened to ring. Pausing to answer the phone, it was a relay message from the "Cheyenne" Guide. The trail of the small bull, now referred to as the "Holly Bull" was found and had been spotted once again. By coincidence, I was only two miles away and with well defined directions, he would out not smart me, again! All I had to do was drive two miles to "Holly" turn left and he was on the right hand side of the road where the horses are at. With the mention of the horses, I knew exactly where he was at.
"Over The Shoulder"
Arriving on Holly, the horses were standing there, looking across Holly Street, however I could not spot the Bull Moose. I drove the route, turned around to make a second pass, still not seeing anything but the horses. After turning around for the third "drive by", I noticed a car with the headlights down the road from me about a mile. As I approached the car, it moved forward to meet me, it was "Cheyenne" the guide. The Bull Moose was still there and hanging with the horses. I did not know that a second horse ranch was situated on Holly Street. Sure enough, on the right side of Holly Street there was a pasture with horses and one small bull moose.
The lighting was very poor by this point of the day, the horses were feeding on some some hay and I can only assume that "Holly Bull" wanted to share in the bounty or was lonely. Neither of the species seemed to be offended that they were intermingling. With the lighting and tree coverage, I could not get a group shot. However, I did get a couple of single shots of "Holly Bull" although it is very poor quality due to the lighting. Had a tough time even seeing his antlers with the naked eye from fifty feet. Although, not the Bull Moose that I wanted, after the miles I have driven, it was good to see a definite Bull Moose. Now that I know he has friends, I will return in better daylight and see if I can get a better shot. Better not be any funny looking "colts" born in the spring.
"Holly The Bull Moose"

1 comment:

real eyez said...

That is a small rack Stan, maybe he needs the water bra that was sent to Heath, you know it might increase his rack. Perhaps you could give it to him?