Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Countdown 365 -T12

Trip Mileage: 78.4 Miles
Game Spotted: Seven Moose ~
Spent the afternoon exploring an area north of Anchor Point, Alaska in the Ninilchik, Alaska area of the Ninilchik River and Deep Creek drainage. Took a tour of the beach area a the mouth of the Ninilchik River and visited the "Old" Village of Ninilchik. Several "old" cabins and houses in this area, several of them, dating back to the date of settlement in the area. Several of them using "dovetail" technique in log cabin construction.
"Deserted Home" ~ Old Ninilchik Village ~ Ninilchik, Alaska "Homestead" ~ Overlooking Ninilchik River
Discovered a new area for photographing "wildlife". In retrospect, I should have explored this location in November and early December. I intend to spend sometime in this area during the summer months and late fall. There are a number of locations that have access from this area that has great potential as a viewing area. Access is very good to the area. I crossed Silver Salmon Creek, a tributary of Deep Creek at Mile 6 and crossing Dolly Creek at Mile 8.8 which both have an interesting potential to be explored.
"Domes" ~ Deep Creek Valley Headwaters
I left the "Domes" in my rear view mirror and continued my trip in a easterly direction to Mile 14. With daylight starting to fade, I reversed my route and and saw a total of seven moose, all antlerless except one small bull. No shot due to fading light and distance of the shot. Having never ventured this far into the area, I was surprised at the depth of the Deep Creek Valley. The valley develops into a very deep canyon for several miles before it once again expands into a valley near the headwaters of Deep Creek. A very good trip, I will return.

No comments: