Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Countdown 365 -T20

Total Miles: 20.0
Wildlife Viewed: 25 Moose
What a great morning! After a dusting of two inches of fresh snow overnight and 18 degrees at daylight, I once again made my "routine trip" in hopes of finding a bull moose. Driving the Sterling Highway from Anchor Point to the North Fork Loop Road at the southern terminus. It appears that the full migration of moose is now taking place into the lower Anchor River Valley. My total trip time this morning was 1 hour and 11 minutes, average speed was 16.9 miles per hour according to "Susie", my GPS and guide. Within two miles of my home, I stopped at vantage point that I have been using all fall with no success in spotting game animals. It would be different this morning at the "power lines", Mile 159 of the Sterling Highway. Sitting in the comfort of my truck, I could count seven moose, including one small bull moose with an antler spread of about 36 inches. Unfortunately, even with my zoom lens at full power, the quality of the picture would have been very poor due to the distance and lighting. I was able to make out his antlers, only with the use of my binoculars. For the remainder of the drive, I would count an additional 18 moose with a sighting of a second small bull that only yielded "spike" horns. The great thing about seeing the two small bulls, at least I now know the full shedding of antlers has not taken place. The opportunity still exists that I may get that shot of a large bull. It also came to mind this morning as I was seeing all of these moose, I have been passing up a lot of shots of "cow moose and calves" because it is so common place to see them. I have hesitated in posting their pictures on "Photo Treks" because they are common. In several ways, Alaskans take things for granted in our sport fisheries and wildlife. I thought to myself, "there are thousands of photographers out there that would love the opportunity to take a picture of any moose". Taking that into consideration, I will continue to shoot shots of cow moose and their calves. It was a good morning and I felt very privileged, even in Alaska to see that many moose in a matter of an hour and a few minutes.
"Watchful Eyes"
"Where Did Mom Go"
"Just A Peek"
"A Tree For Protection"

No comments: