Thursday, December 16, 2010

Dall Sheep ~ Mountain Monarchs

Once again, I got lucky! Although, I had a decent shot of a small Dall Sheep Ram to fulfill my "bucket list for 2010", I really wanted some pictures of a trophy ram. I spent a lot of hours last winter after January 1st looking for that one shot that I needed without success. The exception was that I did get some great shots of a Ewe teaching a Dall Lamb how to jump the crevices. Which was a very special in having the opportunity to witness this interaction between mother and baby.
I just returned today from a quick trip to Anchorage and not only had a chance to photograph the Dall Sheep on my north bound trip, but also again today on my return trip around Turnagain Arm. One herd was comprised of three big rams, pushing of exceeding full curls on each of the rams. In this herd, there were 12 -15 Ewes and Lambs. The second herd was led by one single, full curl ram and a half dozen ewes.
For a little while, I thought I would have the opportunity to witness two of the Rams in the large herd have a confrontation. One advanced up the mountain to meet a second Ram watching the Ewes from a vantage point. They approached each other hesitantly, the Ram laying down stood up to meet him, they came nose to nose, rubbed shoulders, and they both returned to the band of Ewes.
The great thing about this particular photo shoot, three of my grandchildren had the opportunity to see their first Dall Sheep from the comfort of a warm car. They had the opportunity of watching their grandfather squatting in the snow, when a Dall Ewe walked up almost within touching distance of me. The Dall Sheep are magnificent animals, living in a very harsh environment of cold, snow, and wind.
"Resting On the Mountain"
"Girl Watching"
"On Guard And Watching"
"Dall Lambs Digging For Food"
"Family Unit ~ Ram, Ewe, And Lambs"
"Keeping A Eye On the Band"
"Holding the High Ground"
Posted by Picasa

No comments: