Friday, February 18, 2011

Winter Moose



With the additional snow that we have received in the last two weeks, the Moose have finally moved into the lowest elevation in the Anchor River Valley.  Currently, downstream from the confluence of the North Fork and South Fork of the Anchor River there is a heavy concentration of Moose.  Perhaps more than I have observed in the past several years.  The majority of them are cows and calves, although I have seen a couple of bulls that have shed their horns.  This morning, my son called me shortly after daylight reporting that he was watching two bulls with antlers intact.  I watched these bulls several times today. 
This afternoon, I did get in a little closer to them and was able to compare the two of them close together.  I am guessing that they are most likely three or four years old based on their antler size and configuration.  My gut instinct tells me that they are most likely brothers.  I did see two young bulls hanging together a couple of years ago when their mother kicked them out of the nest.   They hung out together all summer with their little spike horns and then disappeared.  I am thinking that these may be the same brothers as the age group would be about the same.  They do not get far away from one another, earlier this morning my son was able to watch them sparring with one another.  
It is unusual to see a bull with his antlers still intact this time of the year, but being young bulls there is not a great deal of weight to manage during the winter.  There have been reports of larger bull retaining their antlers as late as April, although I have never seen any past February.  I was surprised that these two had still retained theirs.  
All of the moose currently in the valley appear to be in very good shape and locating ample feed.  To date, I have seen no "barking" of the trees indicating that they are still finding plenty of willows and alders to feed on. 
These are not big bulls, but after looking since October, this is only the 3rd and 4th Bull Moose that I have seen. 
I was fortunate to get these shot from the opposite side of the Anchor River just downstream from the Anchor River Bridge.  At the time, they were headed upstream so I also took the vantage point of the bridge and was abler to get several aerial shots of them. 

"Headed Up River"

"Watching Me From Across The River"

"Aspirations Of Being A Big Bull"


"Thin Ice"
It is a good thing he is a young bull, he is standing on glare ice, which was running water three weeks ago.

Had to take a shot of this Cow Moose.  She has to be a Matriarch, she is not only a very big lady, most likely a barren cow.  The intriguing thing about her, there are those that say you can age a Moose by the length of their "Dewlap" or "Bell" that hangs from the underside of their jaw.  If that is the case, this lady has some age on her.  I do not recall seeing a "Bell" the size of the one that adorns her jaw.  I would estimate it to be a minimum of eighteen inches.  Although, I was in close to her, I gave her a wide berth as you can tell she is aware of my presence and not real keen on the concept of me getting any closer as indicated by her ears. 
Her hackles had not risen yet which is a sure sign of anger, but looking away and laying the ears back was all the sign I needed to retreat a few steps and give her some room.  She looks to be in very good shape and despite her size and age, she will see the green grass of spring. 

"Big Mama"

1 comment:

Stan Harrington said...

After looking at the picture of the cow, I am not sure that she is going to be "barren" for much longer. It appears that she could be heavy with "calf", her tummy looks pretty rounded for this time of the year, it is less than three months until calving season.