Thursday, January 7, 2010

Countdown 365 -T7

January 4, 2010 ~ January 6, 2010 Total Trip Mileage ~ 554.0 Miles
Purpose of this trip was to photograph Dall Sheep on the mountain slopes of Turnagain Arm, just south of Anchorage, Alaska. Normally at this time of the year, the snow depths on the high elevations of the mountain range force the Dall Sheep and Mountain Goats to lower elevations. En route to the area from Anchor Point, Alaska I would take side trips in search for the elusive Bull Moose that I have been searching for since November. Several side trips were taken in this endeavor, including Feuding Lane, Skilak Lake Loop Road, Quartz Creek Road, and Portage Valley at the head of Turnagain Arm. Throughout the entire trip, a total of seventeen "antlerless moose" were spotted, several in places that you would not typically see moose this time the year. Skilak Loop Road passes through the Kenai Peninsula National Wildlife Refuge. You can enter the area from either the north or south end from the Sterling Highway. In normal years, the snow pack in this area is two to four feet. The day that I visited the area, the cover was 2 -3 inches of hard packed snow. Although some sign of game were spotted, no sightings of wildlife were made. All of the area streams and rivers north of Soldotna are open and flowing freely, including those at the top of Turnagain Pass. Arriving at the head of Turnagain Arm, I took a side trip into the Portage Valley in search for moose. Through the years, there have been times that I have seen as many as 20 - 30 moose in this area on several occasions. This is a natural wintering area for moose from the mountain ranges that surround the valley. My hopes of seeing a "big" bull increased when I saw a sign that read "Moose Meadows Two Miles". Needless to say, no moose were seen in Moose Meadows on my two visits during this trip. Arriving in the area that I wanted to "spot" for sheep I discovered that the mountain range paralleling Turnagain Arm was barren of snow cover except for occasional patches. Again, normally these mountains have heavy snow cover by mid November. While "glassing" at snow spots, hoping to see them move, I did spot three sheep or goats just after sundown on Monday, January 4, 2010. I was able to get closer to them, however, they were still beyond my desired photo range and the lighting was terrible due to the pending darkness and coloration of the rocks. With my binoculars, I was able to determine that they were Dall Sheep with at least one ram. From maximum range of my zoom lens, I took a series of shots but not satisfied since they were not "up close and personal", the type I really enjoy taking. I made plans to return the following morning at daylight, hoping that they would remain in the same area. Returning the following morning, lunch and thermos of coffee prepared, I intended to "wait them out" and get the shots I wanted. "Dutch" and I would remain on Turnagain Arm the remainder of the day, seeing the sun set over Turnagain Arm. Despite the hours spent, glassing the slopes and locating "new" viewing spots, we would not see any sheep that day. Just prior to "sundown", I had to make an emergency call to "McLay Automotive Emergency Services" to rescue me since my battery was dead. Someone forgot to turn the headlights out, just don't make batteries like they used to.
Two Dall Sheep Rams And Ewe ~ Turnagain Arm, Alaska
After returning home and putting my pictures into the computer, I was pleasantly surprised. Although the photo quality is poor, I was very pleased with the size of the two rams, they were much older and larger rams than I had originally thought.
Largest of the two rams, notice how far the tip of his horns extend beyond his eye. Great ram, poor picture ~ but I will accept it.
The following morning at daylight, I returned to the same ridge, hoping the sheep would remain throughout the night. They had disappeared, but to my astonishment, a cow moose that taken up residence on top of the same ridge. I had not expected to see moose this high on the mountain at this time of the year. Again, a long "distant shot" and she blends in well with her environment. The subject is located center picture. Later in the day, I would spot two additional moose at much higher elevations, within three hundred feet of the summit of the mountain range. With binoculars, I could make out that they were likely a cow and calf. January and the moose are still on top of the mountain, who would have ever thought?
"Mountain Moose"
"Frozen Waterfall" Portage Valley, Alaska
On my return trip home, I did something that I have never done. Living here since 1956, I had never driven the extra 18 miles from the Seward Highway and visited the community of Hope, Alaska. Seeing moose on Turnagain Pass, I thought to myself that perhaps they would use that valley to winter. My thought process was good, but again the snow depths had not pushed any number of moose into the area although I did see one cow moose. Much to my surprise, the trip into Hope is a very beautiful drive and I intend to visit this area again during the summer. The community of Hope is an old Alaskan"gold town" with a very small year around population. Enjoying photographing "old" buildings, I want to shoot additional shots in this area.
Genuine "Cache" ~ Not A Yard Decoration Hope, Alaska
"Winter Creek Bed"
Turnagain Arm, Alaska "Cabin In The Woods" Hope, Alaska

3 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

Can you see the moose on the ridge?

real eyez said...

Yes I could just barely make her put and at first it looked like she was laying down but once you enlarge the picture she is walking behind the trees!
Nice zoom!

Heidi said...

I like the Cache!