Monday, February 1, 2010

Countdown 365 T-32

The first thirty-one days of the new year are now in the past. Although, I have yet to capture a photograph of a large Bull Moose, I would classify my first month as being very successful. By months end, I traveled a total 0f 702.4 miles. I not only saw some beautiful country, but witnessed several beautiful sunrises and sunsets. In my travels, I saw a total of 161 Moose and three Dall Sheep, two Rams with a single Ewe. I also had a great time shooting photos of the American Bald Eagle, a specie that I have grown to admire. They justly deserve to be the symbol of our freedom in America.
~ February 1, 2010 ~ Total Miles: 55.5 Miles ~ 16 Moose
Left my home this morning at 8:55 a.m., just as it was getting daylight. Today, I would once again drive my regular route, the south end of the North Fork Loop Road. Under partly cloudy sky, the temperature was a balmy 26 degrees. Taking a hour and nine minutes to drive the 12 mile (one way) I counted a total of sixteen moose. All of them being cows and calves. They continue to hold in this feeding area until we get additional snow fall.
"Hoar Frost"
Having a couple of errands, I pulled off the Moose Hunt, and headed into the community of Homer, Alaska. Arriving in Homer and completing my "assigned tasks", it was such a beautiful day that I decided to drive out to the Homer Spit and snap a few photos of the American Bald Eagle. Driving out on the break wall of the Homer Harbor, the scenery across Kachemak Bay was spectacular as usual, with the Eagles lined up at the entrance to the harbor.
After taking a few photographs, I noticed an unusual amount of sea gulls and a few Eagles flying overhead in the direction of the tip of the Homer Spit. When I arrived at their destination, it was nothing less than spectacular. I got lucky again! It is now illegal to feed the Eagles, but mother nature has a way of taking care of her own.
Right off the tip of the Homer Spit, that must have been a thousand sea gulls and a variety of diving ducks feeding on a specie of small fish. In their hurried, feeding frenzy, and trying to evade loosing their catch to their counterparts; they would occasionally drop their catch on the beach, to be jumped on by an Eagle. I was to busy trying to get photos to count Eagles, but the picture below is an indicator of the number gathered. There were Eagles in every direction that I looked. My biggest problem, was what shot should I take!
"Eagle Convention"
I shot a lot of "film" today, it would be difficult to chose which shot to be posted. Instead, this evening I hurriedly put together a short video from some of the still shots of today. All of the shots in the video were taken today with the exception of three of my favorites that I use repeatedly. Sit back, turn up the volume on your speakers, and enjoy a few minutes with the Eagles, just as I did today.
"GOD BLESS AMERICA"

2 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

What happened to my video, it was there last night, I checked it several times?

Stan Harrington said...

It is there, I just did to wait long enough for it to load. Although, I am disappointed! I do not see it on the Academy Award list!