Thursday, February 11, 2010

Countdown 365 T-42

UPDATE
On Wednesday, February 10th my wife and I took a non-sanctioned photo trip to Soldotna, Alaska. On our return trip, entering Ninilchik, Alaska I recalled my numerous attempts over the past couple of weeks to photograph "Holly the Bull Moose", finally capturing a poor quality picture of him on January 29, 2010. Since his location was just two miles off the main highway, we thought that we would take a look and see if he was still cavorting with the horses. Arriving at the location of the horse corrals where I last saw him, he was no where to be seen. However, a Cow Moose and her calf had taken up residence with the horses, sharing the same corral. I was treated to observing protective instincts of a mother. Although the calf was a third the size of it's mother, it was big enough to tend to itself. Stepping out of my truck, I walked toward the calf to get a picture, allowing myself plenty of room to escape and not to spook the calf. Immediately upon my approach, the Cow Moose locked onto me with her eyes and followed my footsteps. As I approached the calf a little closer, she walked towards me. She had yet to lay back her ears, just wanted to make sure I was not going to intrude to far. Each step I would take, she would take two. At a point, she kept coming and got between me and her calf. I figured that it was time to take the picture and back off. She stayed her ground until I had backed up several steps. She then turned her attention to her new found friends, the horses.
February 11, 2010 Total Miles: 22.4 ~ Wildlife: 16 Moose
Playing poker at the weekly tournament on Wednesday evening, I picked up a tip of the sighting of two different Bull Moose, both larger bulls with their horns still intact. With our recent additional snowfall, I though perhaps some bulls had moved into the area, although I was skeptical that they would still be carrying the load of their antlers. Despite being a skeptic, I once again made my daylight trip on my normal route to the upper part of the Anchor river as the reported bulls were sighted in this area. Although, I did not see anything that resembled a Bull Moose, I did see a total of 16 moose on the twenty-two mile trip. Having received several inches of fresh snow, the moose are now finding it a little more difficult to get get around, although it does not seem to bother them. This particular cow was starting to form a little "bag" so I am guessing that come spring, she will be a mommy.
Belly Deep In Snow
A beautiful spring day, my "spotters" and I took a few extra minutes on our way home to once again go to the beach.
"Dutch"

1 comment:

real eyez said...

That is a gorgeous picture of Dutch! I love how everything is noticeably blowing in one direction and very good colors!