Saturday, January 21, 2012

Winter Moose Range

With the high pressure system that has dominated the majority of Alaska for the past week, we have been having some beautiful clear days which create some beautiful sunrises and sunsets.  The clear days and nights have also brought on some colder temperatures than we normally see.  This is sunrise on Mt. Illiamna, a volcano that is located across Cook Inlet from Anchor Point, Alaska.  The date is January 21, 2012  and the current temperature when this shot was taken was -22 degrees. The ice fog is created from the marine waters of Cook Inlet being warmer than the air temperature.  The entire surface of Cook Inlet was blanketed by this fog. 

"Mt. Illiamna and Cook Inlet"


This calf was born last spring, with the calf bedded down, the Cow Moose has wandered a short distance away to feed, however, keeping a watchful eye on me.  For the most part, the calves have been weaned and are now on their own to grub for their own food.

"Nap Time"
 

I was closer to the Calf than the Cow, so she naturally kept an eye on me to insure that I did not encroach to close.  Not to disturb either of them, I used a touch of telephoto to focus in on the calf while at the same time keeping a watchful eye on the Cow.  Typically, if they are getting agitated at your presence, they will warn you with a deep grunt or flexing the ears.  If the ears are laid back flat and the hair on their back rises, then it is time to back out and leave them alone.  In the picture below, she is not concerned about me, but still tracking me to in sure I do not encroach to far. 

"Mom Is Watching"

To see how she would react, I moved around a tree out of her sight, still maintaining a safe distance.  She only took a couple of steps to stand behind a large Cottonwood Tree where she could still watch my location and movement.  At this point, I am taking shots of her with my normal lens with no zoom.  Her ears are flexing slightly, but primarily to kick up my sound. 

 "The Trees Have Eyes"

I moved around the tree a little more and out of her sight, when I could view her again, she was in the  same spot but had her head wrapped around the tree to spot me without herself moving.  As she and I were playing our peek-a-boo game, the Calf remained bedded down and not concerned which is likely why the Cow was just watching me and not moving closer to the calf. Once again, it was a very good observing period, but still one where you had to make them feel as if they were dominant and you posed no threat to them or their young.  As a word of warning, do not push them and leave yourself a safety zone, a mad Cow Moose especially one with a Calf can kill you faster than a Brown Bear.  Her front legs are lethal weapons.  Leaving them alone, I retreated to the warmth of my truck to watch them a little longer. The Cow continued to feed and the Calf remained in bed. 

"Peek A Boo Tree"
 

No comments: