Saturday, September 25, 2010

Eight Days On the Road

Tonight, I sit just a stones throw from the east side of the Milk River, a far piece from the south bank of the Anchor River. Have crossed a lot of rivers in the past eight days. I am currently in Malta, Montana after crossing the prairie of central Montana today. This morning I woke up to a beautiful sunrise over the Montana Rocky Mountains at the entrance to Glacier National Park, tonight, rolling hills of grass.
To date, I have had a great trip, have not seen a touch of rain or clouds, since I left Alaska. The prior planning last winter has paid big dividends in locating game and picking the best route. Although, some may want to contest that when they see my map book. Had to go to Thompson Falls, Montana to see a concentration of Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep. That put me a couple of hundred miles south of the Canada Border. Saw more sheep in one day than I have in my lifetime. Unfortunately, the big rams have not moved down from the higher elevations for the rut. I saw primarily ewes, lambs, and small rams that are going to get their butts kicked in a couple of weeks for messing with the girls.
Yesterday, I had to cut back north to get to Glacier National Park to find a Mountain Goat, finding myself forty miles from the Canadian Border. Wanted to drive the "Highway to the Sun" which bisects the park. Arriving at the west side gate, I discover the pass is closed for the season due to construction. Only option was to drive to the east entrance, which was suppose to be my exit point to drive across Montana. Had a beautiful drive to the almost the top of the park, but again road construction and the road was closed. All I needed was two more miles to get to the goats! However, it is spectacular country and the fall colors are just starting to show good. Retreating, I headed across Montana.
Yesterday morning, I had a fantastic morning at the National Bison Refuge a few miles west of Thompson Falls. Although, named for the bison there is a variety of wildlife. Evidently, it is the time of the season that anything that has horns is in the mating mood. The deer, elk, antelope, and sheep seem to always group but the breeding males will run around together, knowing that within a few weeks they are going to be fighting. The Bison Refuge is a drive through area, 24 miles of roadway. The first two animals were two trophy size Mule Deer running together. Later, while coming down a steep pass, I happened to look down the slope, to Mule Deer Bucks were sparring. By the time I got stopped, got my camera ready they decided their play period was over. I would have loved to had a shot of them locking up horns, but at least I got to see it in reality. They were also very big bucks, but the smaller one has probably testing the larger one to see how a real battle would play out. A few miles down the road, came across a big herd of Antelope in a meadow. There was 27 does and one very massive buck. The buck Antelope I saw in Colorado last year was big, but this guy was a trophy book animal. He was proud of his little group of ladies. He would use his antlers and rub them on the brush, often bringing up grass clinging to his horns. Every time a doe would squat, he would run over and sniff the ground, I assume to check the scent to see if she was in season. Out of nowhere, a second, but smaller buck showed up! The big buck caught him and gave chase. Chased after him for a quarter of mile before returning to the herd. A little later, the smaller buck tried to sneak back and once again, the chase commenced. The small buck finally got the message and stayed a safe distance away from the herd.
To date, on the trip I have got some good photos of a trophy class Bull Caribou (at least in my book), trophy class buck Mule Deer (5), largest Bull Elk, I have ever seen, and hundreds of pictures of Big Horn Sheep, but no big Rams, but they will come.
Now, you ask why I am in Malta, Montana. Just south of here is the Russell (famed western artist)Wildlife Refuge which has a variety of wildlife in the Missouri Breaks. Checking around this evening, talked to one local that assured me that the was down there last weekend a saw literally 1,000 Elk including the bulls ready to go into the rut. If this rumor is true, I will be ecstatic, if I see just a few, I will be happy!
However, if some think I am out just to get that trophy shot, some of the best shots come from the little ones, their curiosity and innocence is much like that of our own little ones.
This young Caribou did not think I should be using his highway, so he stuck his tongue out at me. (Alcan Highway)

This youngster, did the opposite, turned her back on me told me to "piss off" the highway was her personal trail. (Alcan Highway)

This young Buffalo Calf, did not care who was watching, it was lunch time and he was hungry. (Alcan Highway)
Downtown Thompson Falls, Montana. Took "Dutch" down to play in the park and found this doe and her fawn enjoying the waters edge.
Last night, Dutch and I cooked dinner and made morning coffee by flashlight, camped in a little grove of aspen trees that were turning gold. This morning awaking just before daylight, I was having my morning coffee (Thermos Bottle) and from the front window of the Ford Motel, I could barely make out a sheer rock wall of a mountain several hundred feet high. As I sat there, having my coffee and waiting for good shooting light, I watched the bluff turn from a light red to a very deep red as the sun rose over the mountains behind us. It reminded me of a story I heard about about guy as to wheter he caught any silvers that morning, he ran out across the ball field and hollered back,"no, but I caught a beautiful sunrise", my thoughts were of him.

5 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

If you are wondering, at shut down time tonight, a total of 3,722.1 miles driven since leaving Anmchor Point.

Shana said...

Glad your enjoying yourself...and those babies are so so cute! Gonna bring me one? huh? huh? gonna daddy? are ya gonna?

john r mclay said...

Great shot of the deer. It seems as if you have "pissing off" the wild game.
Sunsets are beautiful, but there IS something special about a sunrise. Although not with spectacular colors, I'm thankful to be here to view it this morning - and every morning.

Heidi said...

Milk river seems to be a little lazier and wider(by the photos I googled), the the Anchor.

Your deer photo, is the cutest, all those little spots. Drive safe and keep keeping us posted.

Heidi said...

Look for us when you get to Wolf Point!