Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Alcan Highway ~ Southbound

Had a great trip down the Alcan Highway, the timing was perfect with the changing of the colors and the snow dusting the top of the mountains. Looking forward to the return trip, perhaps by then the snow will have driven the Rock Sheep to lower elevations.
In the next photo, there is always a herd of Elk in a pasture just before you get to Toad River Lodge. This year was no exception, but I could only get distant shots as they hold on the far side of the pasture. Looked at the Elk, wondered where the horses were at and traveled down the highway less than a hundred yards and there is the Mule Deer Buck that I was worried about getting on my trip. He was running with a smaller buck which is typical just prior to the rutting season. He goes onto my record, however, at the time I did not know what awaited further down the road and a few days later.
The Toad River area is my favorite place on the Alcan, there are so many species with strong populations in this area.

Mule Deer ~ Alcan Highway ~ Toad River

Yes, he is "sticking his tongue out at me" ~ I have that effect on animals. (See previous posting)

Still excited about getting my Mule Deer for my collection, I traveled only a few miles and came across yet another herd of Caribou. At this time, the herds consisted of a half dozen cows and calves as the bulls have yet started herding them up for the rut. However, this bull Caribou got a early start and had already selected a few lady friends. I was surprised to see him, although no Record Book trophy, he is big enough for my record book. Watch a valuable lesson in nature with him. He was road smart. He was following the ladies, they crossed the road in front of me, half of them spooked and went back on his side of the road. The others got across as I come to a complete stop and shut my truck off. By butting them and working like a cutting horse, he got them to start crossing the road, about that time, the cows that had crossed thought they should go back so he had cows going both directions. It took him a few minutes to get all of them going in the same direction, but eventually they crossed and he was the last one to make the transit.

Looks like he has fed well this summer, nice shiny coat, he is ready to go to the prom and then wait out the long winter.

You cannot help but take pictures of Buffalo. So far I have collection of Buffalo pictures from the Yukon, Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota. Upon my return, this winter I will take some pictures from each region and see how they compare in size and coloration.

No comments: