Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Countdown 365 ~ T-188

Was out and about at first light this morning, primarily to check the nesting pair of Bald Eagles that I have been watching since early spring. After sitting at the nest for over an hour, I ventured to the Anchor River to check out the eagles. We are fortunate to have a larger population of eagles in the Anchor River Valley this season. Found a pair of young (immature) Bald Eagles playing in the river. Something that I did learn about eagles today, the young in the nest and these juveniles still have a dark colored beaks, however their legs and feet are yellow at birth.
"Head Dunking Contest" "Juvenile Launching"
"Airborne"
I was watching the two juveniles for just a short time when the adult landed to check out what the kids were feeding on. This was a coincidental meeting between the mature Bald Eagle and myself. I had just left the nesting area, watching the mate stand guard on the nest. I had been waiting for this one to return to get a picture of both of them on the nest. Now you may be wondering how I know it is the other part of the mating pair.
"A Warning To Others To Stay Back"
"Mirroring Himself"
After checking himself out in the water mirror, he picked up the entrails of a "cleaned fish" and headed to the nest to feed the young. I watched him as he entered the trees to where the nest was at, where I had been twenty minutes earlier.
"Taking Home The Bacon"
"NESTING AREA"
Shortly after arriving at the nesting area, the single Bald Eagle on the nest flew to a high branch on a nearby cottonwood tree. She sat there for a short while cackling but keeping a close eye on the young eagles in the nest. I am still not pleased with the shots that I have taken of the adults returning or departing the nest. The distance from nest is a problem, however, the speed that they approach and land is amazing. I am assuming as to not give away the location of the nest to predators. You can sit there for hours waiting for their return or launching, then you have a matter of seconds to focus and shoot the shot.
They are still raising the original three "eaglets", the little ones are growing rapidly and will soon start sprouting their main feathers to learn to fly. Today, I saw them flexing their "fluffy wings" several times so they are preparing themselves for that first scary launch. They are getting big enough now that they are crowding the "guardian" out of the nest, but they are content at sitting on the side and watching the kids.
"Returning To The Nest" "Landing"
"Parent And Baby"
"Watching The Brood"

1 comment:

Stan Harrington said...

Review the next posting and you will see how much the little ones have grown in eight days.