Friday, November 19, 2010

Elk

Although, all of our antlered wildlife are beautiful animals and unique in their own way. I have a special fondness for the Elk. They are such a regal animal, their size and antler structure marks them as the monarch of their habitat area. It is amazing how gracefully they can move through heavy timber, despite the size of their antlers. In my travels this fall, I can happily report that our Elk population is very strong throughout the western states. I saw Elk in the Yukon Territory, British Columbia, Alberta, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, and Arizona. The biologists maintain that there are two species of Elk, the Mountain Elk and the Prairie Elk. Although, I could not tell the difference unless it was in the horn structure and body weight. In South Dakota, I had perhaps a once in a lifetime opportunity when I had the chance to see seventeen Bull Elk in a large meadow. Several other Bull Elk were already moving into the heavy timber which I did not count. I would estimate that there were at least twenty-five Bull Elk herded up. Their size ranged from spikes to large "Royals". There was not a single cow of calf in the area. While watching them, hoping for better photography light, I had the chance to see several of the bulls sparring with one another. The night prior to seeing them, I had siwashed out and could hear their bugling throughout the night. Like themselves, their "bugle call" is distinct and a sound that you never tire of hearing.
~ Colorado ~
First snow of the season, the Bull in the next two pictures had a herd of nine cows and one "Spike Bull" that kept getting chased away by the herd Bull.
"Bugling Bull"
JASPER NATIONAL PARK ~ CANADA This particular "Royal" had a herd of eleven cows with him and provided me a couple of hours of entertainment in photographing him and his herd.
~ MONTANA ~
This monster Bull Elk was perhaps the largest Bull that I saw on my trip. The "rut" had not yet started and he was traveling with three smaller Bulls.
Black Hills ~ South Dakota
This "Royal" was considering the rut, although he was "bugling", he was conserving his energy for any bulls that wanted to challenge him as well as resting up for the rut.

No comments: