Monday, April 25, 2011

The "Grand Slam" 2010

I consider myself very fortunate to have photographed each of the four species of Wild Sheep that inhabit North America during the Calendar Year of 2010.  The largest population of wild sheep that I had the opportunity to view was the Rocky Mountain Big Horn.  I spent many hours in British Columbia, Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming, and Colorado observing these beautiful animals. 
The most elusive specie that I had the most difficulty in photographing were the Desert Big Horns, I had the opportunity to see a number of these species in Arizona and Nevada.  Although, I was not able to get in close to get the photographs I wanted, I did have the opportunity to witness seven Rams grouped up just prior to the rut.  I will return to photograph each of these species, but in particular the Desert Ram, now that I know their habits and the terrain that they prefer.

Dall Sheep ~ Turnagain Arm, Alaska

 Stone Sheep (Ram) ~ Toad River, Yukon Territory


Rocky Mountain Big Horn ~ Black Hills, South Dakota

Desert Big Horn ~ Dyer, Nevada

No comments: