Sunday, May 16, 2010

Countdown 365 ~ T-135

Total Miles: 2 Miles ~ Wildlife: Three Moose ~ Bald Eagles ~ Sandhill Cranes
Although, Saturday, May 15, 2010 was not a dedicated Photo Trek day, I have learned to carry my camera with me wherever I venture. On this particular day, my schedule was simple, I was to sit in the parking lot of the Anchor River Inn from 0600 to 1930. Needless to say, Anchor Point was very quiet until 0800 when the Anchor River Inn opened for the day, but I was their first customer. This date, I was to sit in the parking lot or inside the Inn and drink coffee, waiting patiently to weigh in King Salmon at our 16th Annual Calcutta King Salmon Tournament.
As I was sitting there, awaiting an early fish to weigh in, I saw a Cow Moose walk out to the edge of the road, her ears laid back as if she were angry. A couple of minutes later, a calf appeared down the road from her about 100 yards. The cow, just stood there and watched it move across the road to a small rise and flat area in front. A few minutes passed and a second calf appeared from the spot that the first calf appeared. Waiting for a minute of so, it joined it's sibling across the road. It was only then, that the Cow Moose crossed the road to join them, however her ears were still laid back. She was a very angry mother.
I can only assume, that she was trying to "ween" her twins, so they could continue their life on their own and she give birth to a new calf. Joining them, whenever she could get close enough, she would try to strike them with her hoof and bump shoulders with them, all the time her ears remained laid back.
"A Gentle Strike To Remind Her Off Spring It was Time To Go Out In The Cruel World"
"Perhaps, A Nudge In The Butt Will Work A Little Better"
"Siblings Conferring On What They Should Do"
Perhaps, Those Of Us That Have Siblings, We Should Always Remember. That Giving One Of Our Siblings A Hug Or Even A Kiss Is Not All That Bad. You May Never Have The Opportunity Come Again.
Assurance That Everything Will be O.K. "Sibling Kiss"
While sitting, I was also entertained by a variety of American Bald Eagles and a flock of Sandhill Cranes winging their way north.
"Immature Bald Eagle"
"Sandhill Cranes"

No comments: